Monday, February 1, 2010

All's Well?

Yes, I am back to blogging. Finally it took some screws to be put onto my knee for me to sit at a place for more than 5 minutes, and I must confess it had to be something like this to get me back to blogging. Now in the coziness of the hospital and in the aroma of dettol I cannot think of anything other than my knee injury.

I have been asked these questions 100 times after people hear the news of the injury.

Should be coz of Cricket or Football, isn’t it?

Yes, occurred while playing football. After talking to the best of doctors I can say that it could have occurred even if I would have missed a step on a staircase. It’s definitely not because of playing a stupid game but surely due to wear and tear.

What’s your age? Why have you been playing for so long? What do you get back?

I have been playing non-stop for 30 years now. I just love playing and there is nothing more I would crave for. Have travelled 35 odd kilometers to play a cricket match on my bike with temperature around 45 degrees. Most of my colleagues in the IT industry would say….Crazy to be out in 45 degrees?

And yes what do you get back?

What sort of question is that!! Have heard this many a times on the work front…. Whats the ROI? (Return on Investment)

The answer to that is “Much more than meets the Eye”. Probably this question should be answered by all people playing with me. My definition though would be sheer JOY!! Helps set goals, plan and implement strategies and then analyze. Might sound philosophical but it gives me a perspective on how to approach in LIFE.

What’s the injury all about?

I had a torn ACL as well as grade 2 and grade 3 Meniscus tear on my right knee. With a couple of screws and reconstruction of ACL + meniscus, problem has been fixed. Have been advised not to put any weight on the right knee for atleast 3 weeks. So that means would be on a walker for 3 weeks.

Would start:

Gym in a month’s time

Swimming and straight jogging in 3 months

Cricket in a year’s time

Allowed to play football, but will opt not to. Don’t want to write blogs like this again.

People at your home must get an award for tolerating you!!!

Surely they do. They know exactly the reason why I play and are the ones who motivate and encourage me. My company and all my colleagues are very supportive too.

Hospital: Dinanath Mangeshkar

Admission Date: 26th Jan

Discharge Date: 29th Jan

All is finally Well

17 comments:

Vineet said...

Great to see you writing once again. But I surely hope you don't only write the next post only when you're admitted to hospital :P. I am definitely a witness to the sheer joy which you mention when you play cricket or football and it's a motivating factor for all your team mates.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Akshat said...

I dont ask these questions. I hit on knee and ask if that is fine or not. :P

prasad said...

Hi Abhijit,
If I was asked to describe you in one word, I would use the word - Sportsman; and therefore you display true sportsmanship in whatever challenge that comes in your way.
I wish you a speedy recovery. Best of luck buddy!

Unknown said...

Get well Soon:)

Unknown said...

Hey hi Abhijeet….

I know you very well (as a football player ) you will never give up….

You have a “Never say die” attitude…
And you will recover very fast…
All the best for your positive recovery …
Waiting to see you back in field with full swing and with great zeal (in which ever sports it may be)..

~Pushkar

Prabodh Kelkar said...

Get well soon Buddy :-)

Shirish. said...

Hey Baks,

Our Cricket team is waiting for you to get well soon .. You will definitely be in the best of form once again .

And beleive me dear,because of your wrong ones and googlies, i m still a very average wicket keeper, though i have been doing it for almost 8 years now.

Hope to see you back soon ..

Aditya Dastane said...

Get well soon Dude. Would like to see you back on ground.:)
ALL IS WELL...

Unknown said...

Dude, did I hear you saying not playing football anymore.
Get well soon and kick some #@#$!

Cheers, Ram

GG said...

I know you will get well soon... and would also enjoy the time when you are recuperating.

-GG

Unknown said...

hope we will see you soon on ground and saying... All iiizzzzz Well -:)

Vishal S Avchar said...

Take Care... waiting to hear you say again - 'Lets Rock' !

Unknown said...

baks is coming soon
hahahahahahaha

Ashish said...

HEy Abhi,
DO take care man!!
I had the same injury just that didn't have any operation as such in myc ase...Take care n get well soon..

diegostrikes said...

I was not aware of your injury on the very outset. Also, missed your one-blog-entry-per-year this time! So, in totality, was aloof about your sporting (read BMC) activities over last six months.

Sincere apologies!

Injuries are the most unfortunate thing in a sportsman’s career and the consequences are fatal. Specially, for people like you, who excels in almost every sports discipline.

All said that, wishing you a speedy recovery, belated nonetheless!

Sure that the game will miss you more than anything else. Also sure about your return to the game!

It’s only a matter of counting time, until Baks is back, opps bak in action. :)

Would love see you playing football - have never seen such a workman-yet-intelligent footballer at this level, else, the beautiful game will miss a classy player.

Take care and god bless!

Unknown said...

Jaldi chennagi aagi sir..foot ball byada cricket aadi.

get well soon...

Ajanabee said...

Expecting a blog after joining a gym!
It will be a really colourful blog..
Jaya